Apparently Nabisco has been on its Oreo creating A game recently because there are a ton of new amazing Oreo products. I really meant to buy just plain double stuffed Oreos, but then I saw the new Oreos that are Golden Oreo on one side, Chocolate on the other and double stuffed in the middle. Were they reading my mind? I grabbed that package (even though I knew those wouldn't work for these cookies) and then I saw something even more amazing, Oreo Blizzard Oreos. Get out of my head Nabisco! Or, actually, please stay in it because I'm in heaven. This kind of goes along with the cookies in cookies concept. An Oreo blizzard has Oreos in it, so how can Oreos become Oreo blizzard flavored? I swapped packages.
I don't know how they did it, but they did. And they were incredible. It wasn't until a few days later that I remembered I meant to make these cookies and had already eaten half of my blizzard Oreos. I really can't be trusted at the grocery store. So today I was driving back from lunch and pulled into a gas station to quickly buy a package of Oreos before I forgot again. I also knew the gas station, despite pricing Oreos at $5 a package, wouldn't have the tempting variety.
Now that I finally tried this recipe I know for sure that cookies in cookies really works. I thought they were great. My roommate liked them even more. They're soft and chewy but packed with Oreo pieces and chocolate chips. Definitely a winner. I think I would probably make plain chocolate chip cookies over these, but it never hurts to add a little pizzaz to the ordinary cookie recipe!
Oreo Cookie Cookies
Recipe - Makes 20 - 30 cookies*
Recipe from Sugar Cooking (Adapted from AllRecipes)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 20 oreos, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.
- Add in the crushed oreos. Beat on low speed for just a few seconds to break up the oreos in the dough.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.*
- Bake for 13 to 16 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.**